Today, we’re excited to announce a promotional campaign with NFT Creators and OpenSea developers looking to store their art, music, and videos on the decentralized cloud via Storj DCS.
This partnership allows developers and creators minting Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) for digital assets with OpenSea, to store and serve those digital assets from Storj DCS, the leading decentralized cloud storage provider.
Effective today, any OpenSea developer can use the coupon code OPENSEA100 for $100 in STORJ Credit to any developer who signs up to use Storj DCS with the OpenSea SDK and wants to grow beyond our free 50GB tier.
This promotion is good for two billing cycles and is redeemable until December 31st, 2021.
NFTs enable developers and creators to register ownership of a unique digital asset on the blockchain. NFTs are best understood as digitally native ownership of images, videos, or PFPs (Profile Pictures), or can be digital representations of ownership of physical assets like real estate, etc.
An NFT is just a registration of ownership for digital objects, owners who need a secure, decentralized method to store the associated jpg, mp4, or other files. Storj DCS provides secure, private storage on the decentralized cloud that is ideal for NFTs. Storj DCS provides:
- Fully encrypted data and metadata for digital assets
- Multiple options for developing web or mobile apps for storing and sharing digital assets
- Ultra-secure and private file sharing options
- Simple public sharing URLs with revocable access
- Native support for media streaming
Developers can sign up for free at storj.io/signup.
What is OpenSea?
OpenSea is an open marketplace and developer toolkit for NFTs. NFTs (non-fungible tokens) are blockchain tokens associated with a cryptographic key pair to represent ownership of unique items.
What are NFTs?
NFT contracts like ERC721 and ERC1155 let us tokenize things like art, collectibles, even real estate. They can only have one official owner at a time, and they're secured by the Ethereum blockchain – no one can modify the record of ownership or copy/paste a new NFT into existence.
What Does the OpenSea SDK do?
The OpenSea SDK enables developers to access the OpenSea orderbook easily, filter it, create buy orders (offers), create sell orders (auctions), create collections of assets to sell at once (bundles), and complete trades programmatically.
Why Would I Pin my NFT to the Decentralized Cloud?
- It’s more available than centralized alternatives like AWS (data is broken into redundant erasure codes across the globe)
- Storj DCS is faster than kademlia-based networks (like BitTorrent or IPFS)
- It’s 80% less expensive than Amazon s3
Will my NFT be Stored Indefinitely by Storj DCS?
Storj follows a pricing model based on storage and bandwidth utilization. As long as you have STORJ Credits in your account or have a credit card associated with billing and payment, your NFT will live on.
Quickstart: Getting Started with 50 GBs of Free NFT Storage on Storj DCS
If you haven’t already registered for a Storj DCS account, you're going to need to take care of that upfront. Instructions are easy to follow.
Now that you’ve got your account squared away, let’s upload your digital asset and create a linkshare link. For this tutorial, we’re just going to use the web interface in the Satellite admin console, but you can also use our CLI, one of the libraries or bindings, our S3 compatible gateway, or an app like FileZilla or Rclone.
If you want a little more context about the different components and constructs in Storj DCS, you can read a quick article on the information architecture.
Let’s use Storj DCS for NFT Metadata Storage
- Create a Storj DCS account. (storj.io/signup)
- Create a Project
- Navigate to the Object Browser
- Create a Bucket
- Upload a file by dragging and dropping your digital asset into the bucket via the browser
- Generate a Linkshare for URL hosting using Storj Object Browser or CLI share command
- Click the 3 dot button to the right of your object and choose Share
- Click Generate Share Link
- Copy the Share Link and click Done
- You can interact with your digital asset across the Decentralized Cloud in a number of ways
- To download content directly, use /raw/ in the Linkshare URL ex: https://link.us1.storjshare.io/raw/ju34skavohcqezr6vlfgshg5nmjq/dwebdemo/isthataquestion.mp4
- To view the digital asset in the object map that shows the location of the storage nodes storing the encrypted and erasure-coded pieces, use /s/ in the Linkshare URL ex: https://link.us1.storjshare.io/s/ju34skavohcqezr6vlfgshg5nmjq/dwebdemo/isthataquestion.mp4
- Create the NFT on OpenSea and use the raw content link as external link for NFT Metadata
- Use the OpenSea GUI: https://opensea.io/collections
- Or developer SDK here: (https://docs.opensea.io/docs/2-adding-metadata)
Once you have uploaded the file you wish to represent within an NFT contract, you can also get real-time info to visualize the file’s erasure coding and distribution with Storj DCS LinkShare using the /s/ pathway in the URL. Conversely use /raw/ in place of /s/ for a direct download. This is the ideal sharing path as links are perpetual by default. For more information, please see our documentation here.
See below for an example:
We also support pre-signed URLs as an alternative to our LinkShare service. Please see our documentation here.